Different cultures at the food truck festival










 


So basically, we met in front of Binnenhof a public office with a long history and there was food truck festival going on around that area. We could have met somewhere else like indoor pub and bar but I ran into this place first and I thought this wasn’t a day to miss all lively atmosphere of the city and told other group members to meet up at this place.

 


The place literally fit ICC in cultural terms with lots of food truck from all different cultures. We had lovely beers and Armenian BBQ along with Japanese pancake and shared each other’s culture. I asked the guys how to say “cheers” in each other’s languages. In Italian it was “salute”, in German “Prost”, and in Ukrainian, “Na zdorovia”, along with my own language, in Korean, “Jjan”.

 

 


I found out Germany, Ukraine, and Italia all has sort of individualistic culture, even though Italia showed the least, whereas, Ukraine showed the most in terms of scale. I, as Korean, am aware of basic difference because I’m from fairly collectivistic country, though I’ve been staying abroad for a while so wasn’t hard for me to blend in to Western culture.

 

Moving on, Jan from Germany shared he’s country is doing-orientated, along with Oleksander from Ukraine as Jan was looking for a job already and Oleksander, I knew him for a while and he wanted to make more allowance so recently found a job as a Taekwondo lecturer. They were from task orientated culture. Riccardo, was from Italia, country where lots of historical heritages are stored and they had somewhat past-orientated culture, with chill vibe and value relationship more. In Korea, due to its fast developing economy, has more of future orientated social trend, shows strong tendency of “live to work” culture.





Kommentare